Home > Living in La Malbaie > Our City > The Historical Origins of La Malbaie

The Historical Origins of La Malbaie

Share on

 

In 1845, a first municipality of La Malbaie was formed but it was repealed two years later in 1847. On July 1st, 1855, the municipality of La Malbaie acquired the official name of Saint-Étienne -of-Murray Bay. Consequently, subdivisions subtracted sections of the original territory of the locality; subsequently, the municipality of Pointe-au-Pic was founded on December 28th, 1876. On March 18th, 1896, a village municipality was detached which, on January 23rd, 1958, acquired the status of city. At a later date, Cap-à-l'Aigle (August 3rd, 1916), Clermont (February 16th, 1935) and Rivière-Malbaie (November 19th, 1938) separated successively from the parish municipality.

A long process of reunification then begins. On August 14th, 1965, a merger was made between the city and the remaining section of the parish municipality (Mailloux River). On February 5th, 1995, a merger was achieved between the municipalities of La Malbaie and Pointe-au-Pic. On December 1st, 1999, a new merger took place with Cap-à-l'Aigle, Rivière-Malbaie, Sainte-Agnès and Saint-Fidèle.

Table of subdivisions and mergers in the history of La Malbaie

La Malbaie Fondation
La Malbaie (Paroisse) 1er juillet 1855 - 14 août 1965
Subdivisions
La Malbaie (Village) 18 mars 1896 - 23 janvier 1958
La Malbaie (Ville) 23 janvier 1958 - 5 février 1995
Pointe-au-Pic 28 décembre 1876 - 5 février 1995
Cap-à-l'Aigle 3 août 1916 - 1er décembre 1999
Rivière-Malbaie 19 novembre 1938 - 1er décembre 1999
Clermont 16 février 1935
Fusions
La Malbaie Paroisse et Ville 14 août 1965
La Malbaie - Pointe-au-Pic 5 février 1995 - 1er décembre 1999
La Malbaie (Ville actuelle)

1er décembre 1999 : fusion de

La Malbaie - Pointe-au-Pic avec

Cap-à-l'Aigle, Rivière-Malbaie, 

Sainte-Agnès et Saint-Fidèle