Home > Living in La Malbaie > Our City > Important Dates Marking La Malbaie's History

Important Dates Marking La Malbaie's History

Share on

Important Dates Marking La Malbaie's History

1608

Appointment by Samuel de Champlain

1653

Concession of the Seigneurie de La Malbaie to Jean Bourdon

1672

Philippe Gaultier de Comporté becomes lord of La Malbaie. His name is now associated with the boulevard along the river at La Malbaie.

1724

The lordship of La Malbaie is attached to the Domaine du Roi.

September 1761

Arrival of John Nairne at La Malbaie.

1762

Concession of the seigneuries of Murray Bay and Mount Murray.

1764

Beginning of the land grant by John Nairne in the seigneury of Murray Bay. 

1774

Opening of parish registers

1784

Malcolm Fraser's land grant begins in the Mount Murray seigneury.

1825

Canonical erection of the parish of Saint-Étienne de La Malbaie

1845

Birth of Félicité Angers (Laure Conan) first woman novelist in Québec.

1853

Construction of a pier on pillories at Pointe-au-Pic. Steamboats can now dock.

1855

Foundation of the parish municipality of Saint-Étienne-de-Murray-Bay

1876

Arrival of the Sisters of Charity of Québec who are responsible for the education of young girls.

1896

Creation of the Village Municipality of La Malbaie

1917

Opening of the Apostolic Orphanage of La Malbaie

July 1st, 1919

Arrival of the first train to La Malbaie.

1942

Opening of Saint-Joseph Hospital in La Malbaie

January 23, 1958

La Malbaie acquires city status

1965

Last year of operation of the Saguenay Cruise of Canada Steamship Lines.

February 5, 1995

Fusion between La Malbaie and Pointe-au-Pic

December 1, 1999

Merger of the municipality of La Malbaie with Cap-à-l'Aigle, Rivière-Malbaie, Sainte-Agnès and Saint-Fidèle.